Friday, October 06, 2006

Lunch at a new restaurant in Mississauga - Axia

A recent review was given over at ResToronto Reviews by a friend of mine for a new restaurant in Mississauga. It's fairly close to my home so I decided to go yesterday with my mom. It's in a new building and looks pretty cool from the outside. The interior is nice looking as well, and is Asian inspired since the restaurant serves Asian food. I think I was most amazed at the menu however. It was about 15 pages long, and seperated by ethnicity. There were lunch specials, Chinese food, Japanese food (including a couple pages of sushi), Korean, and Viet/Thai. There's also about 2 pages of curry. My mom ordered off the lunch menu (a Bento box that comes with soup and tea), and I ordered off the regular menu (Cantonese chow mein, and a strawberry-banana shake).
The waiter was obviously very new to the job. You could tell he was trying hard, but you could also notice the little things. Like how he didn't realize that he should ask if you wanted something to drink before ordering your whole meal, and that you should bring everyone's food at the same time. He also seemed to forget my mom's soup, and only brought her tea with the bill (the tea was excellent though). Definately not the best service right now, but I can see it improving over time.
The meals were VERY fresh! Some of the freshest shrimp I think I've ever had at a restaurant. I was taken by surprise when there was squid (or at least I think it was squid) in my cantonese chow mein. I'm not an adventurous eater, and I'm sorry but they just don't look appealing at all! I took them off my plate and the rest was delicious!
This place isn't cheap though. For the 2 of us, I think it ended up costing just under $40.

For more reviews, check out Axia ResToronto Reviews.